Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gluten Free Vegan Blondies

I like to tell myself that the substitutions I make in my baked goods make them almost good for me.  What can I say?  I have a sweet tooth that just won't quit.  I was super excited when I got the Babycakes cookbook because the few times I've eaten baked goods there, they seemed kind of healthy.  My first attempt from the cookbook was gluten free blondies. After reading through the ingredients and possible substitutions, I used only chickpea flour (I didn't have any brown rice flour or garbanzo fava flour) and I subbed canola oil for coconut oil.  I didn't have any mini muffin tins, so I used a 9x13 baking pan instead. After I finished adding and mixing all of the dry ingredients, I realized that I used the 1/3 cup dry measure instead of the 1/4 cup I was supposed to use.  Oops! Despite the fact that I mostly did not follow the recipe, the blondies turned out really good! I was a little worried when the batter tasted like sugary vanilla chickpeas, but when they came out of the oven I was pleasantly surprised. They tasted like regular wheat blondies. They were almost fudgey on the inside and crispy on the outside. I'll bet if I actually followed the recipe and used mini muffin tins, they'd be even better. It's also heartening to know that canola oil can totally be subbed for the super expensive coconut oil. I'll be making these again!

1 comment:

Bianca said...

They look amazing! I love blondies...not sure why I never make them!