Monday, November 29, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie, An Unlikey Thanksgiving Tradition

 
In addition to the traditional mashed potatoes, yams, cranberries, stuffing, and tofurky, I like to round out my Thanksgiving meal with some chocolate peanut butter pie.  It's ridiculously easy to make, in fact there's no baking required.  I don't even measure the ingredients!  Here's what you need:
  • A block of firm tofu
  • A small bag of vegan chocolate chips
  • Some peanut butter, preferably smooth but it really doesn't matter
  • A teensy splash of vanilla
  • A graham cracker crust

Here's what to do:
1.  Chop the tofu up coarsely and put it in a blender.
2.  Add a lot of peanut butter.
3.  Melt the chips is a double boiler.  If you don't have one, do what I do: Put a smaller saucepan with the chips inside a bigger pot filled with boiling water.  Stir the chips until they melt.  You could probably melt them in a microwave too.
4.  Put the melted chips in the blender.
5.  Add a small bit of vanilla.
6.  Blend until smooth.
7.  Pour the mixture into the pre-made pie crust, let it set in the fridge for an hour or so.

Even the non-vegetarians and kids loved this pie, and it couldn't be easier.
To satisfy my love of all things pumpkin, I also make a deliciously traditional spicy pumpkin pie from Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen.  It's essentially firm tofu, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and maple syrup blended together and poured in a prepared graham cracker crust.  You do have to bake it for 30 minutes and let it set in the fridge for a few hours, but it's totally worth the wait.

3 comments:

Bianca said...

Mmmm...pie. I ate lots of pie on Thanksgiving Day (and I'm still working through leftovers!). But I'd take a slice of that chocolate-PB pie right now.

Theresa said...

Pie! That PB-Choc looks amazing, and sounds deceptively simple!

The Slow One said...

The pie sounds pretty easy. I'll have to try this!