Thursday, December 23, 2010

Kale Chickpea Soup

I rarely make my own recipes.  I substitute and change around all sorts of things from my favorite cookbooks, but start from scratch?  Almost never (and salad doesn't count). 

I love soup for lunch in the cold months.  I had a craving for kale and chickpeas, so I put a bunch of stuff together in a pot and surprised myself by making this delicious, flavor filled and healthy soup.  

Here's what I used:
-2 stalks of celery
-1 onion
-half a green bell pepper
-olive oil
-2 cloves garlic
-2 cups vegetable stock
-1 vegan boullion cube
-1 large can organic chickpeas
-a bunch of kale, chopped
-3 carrots, chopped
-1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
-1 tsp thyme

Here's I did:
1.  Saute diced onion, green peppers, and celery in olive oil in a pot until onions start to get a tad transulescent.  
2.  Add 2 chopped cloves of garlic and stir with a wooden spoon until the garlic gets fragrant and smells awesome.  Stir in the thyme.
3.  Add two cups of vegetable stock and stir.
4.  Add four cups of water and one vegan boullion cube (crumble the cube as you add it).  Stir and bring to a boil.
5. Add carrot and cauliflower and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
6.  Add chickpeas and kale and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
I heated this up for lunch throughout the week, so good!  I especially liked it with a healthy dash of Sriracha hot sauce.  I will definitely make this again, and I'll try to invent new soup recipes since this one was such a success! Yay for soup making!

No comments: