Monday, October 20, 2008

Marvelous Mushrooms

Here is a photo of a cute little mushroom that I saw on a recent walk through my town. I have no idea what kind it is, it could be fatally poisonous for all I know, but it inspired me to write about mushrooms.
Pre-washed and sliced cremini or baby portabella mushrooms are so convenient! I usually put them on my pizza, and sometimes I just cook them up with whatever else I'm making for dinner. Here, I made some seitan following a recipe in La Dolce Vegan. I added the seitan/mushroom mixture to some whole wheat pasta, it was really hearty and delicious. I also recently made a mushroom gravy very loosely based on the miso gravy recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance and paired it with yummy biscuits and some baked tofu.

This definitely can be described as an "I need to go food shopping since I'm running out of stuff, but I really don't feel like going out" dinner. Although it was very beige, it was really satisfying and way better than going out to Wegman's after a long day.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I love mushrooms!

Bianca said...

Don't you love the seitan flavoring recipes in La Dolce Vegan? I think they all really taste like their meaty counterparts....

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, beige is good! :) I love mushrooms : love eating them, and love seeing and taking pictures of them when I'm out and about. Yeah for the schrooms!