Sunday, September 7, 2008

Macadamia Blondies and the Beach

The months of July and August are like a long, extended vacation for those of us lucky enough to live at the Jersey Shore. For some of us, the beach is just steps away from our homes, and it seems like the beauty and sunshine are ever present. Labor Day weekend can be bittersweet, as the water temperatures are warmer than ever, but the end of the summer season is close at hand. Lucky for me, I live here year round, and September brings smaller crowds to the beach! Here is a bunch of photos I took over Labor Day weekend, followed by a pic of the super scrumptious Macadamia Blondies from Vegan With a Vengeance.





I didn't make the caramel sauce that was supposed to go with the recipe, but I found the blondies to be perfectly sweet enough, with a buttery smoothness from the macadamias. I loved them, and I'll probably make them again soon!

6 comments:

Theresa said...

Those blondies look like great beach food.

It's a bit cold here in July/August. Average temperatures are between 17 and 25 celsius. The water is 20-ish. Obviously it gets a little bit warmer the further north you are, but the ranges are still the same. With a good wetsuit it's a great time to dive, because the box jellies are inactive!

Cairns is the furthest north you'd probably want to go, and is really close to the reef. Plus it has a big backpacker crowd so there are lots of clubs, shops, etc. Townsville, where I live, is a bit far from the reef (2 or 3 hours boat ride) but from here you can get to one of the best wrecks in the world, the SS Yongala. I highly recommend that. Or, if you're looking for something a bit different, there is Lady Elliot Island, at the far south of the GBR. There is an eco-resort and the best vis ever, apparently. If you want more advice on where to go and what to do, feel free to email me! tropicalvegan (at) gmail.com

Vegan_Noodle said...

I never knew the Jersey shore was so beautiful!
I could really go for a blondie right about now...

Bianca said...

Man, you are lucky! I don't think I've even seen a beach since, um, at least 1998.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Blondies AND the Jersey Shore?! Jealousy to the max!

Anonymous said...

Blondies were my absolute favorite treat as a kid. I remember what it would smell like when I came home from school on a day my mom had made blondies. I can't wait to make these vegan blondies for my daughter to come home to when she's big enough to go to school!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful scenery! Although I live very close to the beach, I don't go often because it's just too hot and sunny for me. I like it better when it cools down a bit, especially since dogs are only allowed during the "off peak" months coming up.